XII. Class/Object Functions
These functions allow you to obtain information about classes and instance objects. You can obtain the name of the class to which an object belongs, as well as its member properties and methods. Using these functions, you can find out not only the class membership of an object, but also its parentage (i.e. what class is the object class extending).
No external libraries are needed to build this extension.
There is no installation needed to use these functions; they are part of the PHP core.
This extension has no configuration directives defined in php.ini.
This extension has no resource types defined.
This extension has no constants defined.
In this example, we first define a base class and an extension
of the class. The base class describes a general vegetable,
whether it is edible or not and what is its color. The subclass
Spinach adds a method to cook it and another to
find out if it is cooked.
We then instantiate 2 objects from these classes and print out information about them, including their class parentage. We also define some utility functions, mainly to have a nice printout of the variables.
Example 2. test_script.php
One important thing to note in the example above is that
- Table of Contents
- call_user_method_array -- Call a user method given with an array of parameters [deprecated]
- call_user_method -- Call a user method on an specific object [deprecated]
- class_exists -- Checks if the class has been defined
- get_class_methods -- Gets the class methods' names
- get_class_vars -- Get the default properties of the class
- get_class -- Returns the name of the class of an object
- get_declared_classes -- Returns an array with the name of the defined classes
- get_declared_interfaces -- Returns an array of all declared interfaces
- get_object_vars -- Gets the properties of the given object
- get_parent_class -- Retrieves the parent class name for object or class
- interface_exists -- Checks if the interface has been defined
- is_a -- Checks if the object is of this class or has this class as one of its parents
- is_subclass_of -- Checks if the object has this class as one of its parents
- method_exists -- Checks if the class method exists
- property_exists -- Checks if the object or class has a property